Widwife attedning to an expactant mother

3 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Being A Midwife In The UK

Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic prompted the UK government to recruit more medical professionals, a lot of interest in proficient medical professions in the UK has been generated. Many are wondering I’m sure how one can become a midwife in the UK, and some might be wondering what a midwife is. By definition, a midwife is a professional who provides care, support and in some instances advice to expecting mothers during their pregnancy and during labour and during the postnatal period and is responsible for the health of the baby and the mother during the baby’s infancy.

How does one become a midwife in the UK, you may be wondering, according to the UK government you need to have a midwife qualification obtained through studying part-time or full time at a credible university. One can go to University and study midwifery or practising nurses can take part-time courses and become qualified midwives. One needs to be registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) to practice as a midwife in the UK.

3 Things You Should Know About Being A Midwife In The UK

  1. All midwives in the UK have to renew their membership with the NMC every three years and in those three years, they should have 350 practice hours, 35 hours of continuing professional development (CPD), reflective discussion, practice-related feedback and professional indemnity arrangement.

2. Midwives can specialise and become clinical specialists in any of the following fields:

  • Home birthing
  • Antenatal screening
  • Public health and parenting education
  • labour ward supervision
  • breastfeeding advisory
  • Intensive care neonatal
  • Foetal and Ultrasound medicine

3. Practicing midwives can also become consultant midwives, they can divide their time between training and championing development in their practice and working with patients. Alternatively, midwives can go full time into training and or research with healthcare facilities and or universities.

Midwives from outside the UK who want to go and work in the UK must apply for the Health and Care Worker VISA if they meet the requirements stipulated by the UK government.

More: Prospects

12 replies
  1. Eugene
    Eugene says:

    Because the admin of this site is working, no doubt very
    quickly it will be famous, due to its quality

    Feel free to surf to my site: beste gewinnchance online casino


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.